The Grant Park Fire District was incorporated as a fire district in 1954. Although it wasn't until then that the district was formed, a group of residents got together in the early years to develop a fire department that provided fire protection to the area. These residents raised their own money to purchase equipment and the departments first fire engine, a 1917 Model T fire engine and a hand pulled hose cart which the district still has today.
Since 1954, the Grant Park Fire District has made many great strides to where we are today. In 1954 the fire department raised money to build their first fire station that was located at 107 W. Curtis St. and stayed open until the construction of our new fire station in 2010. Throughout the years many additions were made to the original building to accommodate the growth of the district.
In 1978, the Grant Park Fire District began operating an Advanced Life Support ambulance service, the first in Kankakee County. St. Mary's Hospital in Kankakee, Illinois was the fire districts resource hospital which still stands today.
In 2008, the fire district ran a tax levy referendum for the purpose of funding the construction of a new fire station. The referendum was overwhelmingly supported and in October of 2010, the Grant Park Fire District moved into their new home located at 12624 E. Route 1 & 17 in Grant Park.